Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dyslexia For You and Me

Dyslexia does not make me need a handicap tag for my car. Nobody looks at me and says oh poor dear she's dyslexic. Maybe if I did not have a thirst for knowledge I would not even know I had a problem myself. When I was younger I could not stay focused for long and still I can loose interest very fast. I have lots and lots of good ideas that I just can't conclude.

Thank DOG for spell checker programs on the computer. Most anybody looking for something about me to be wrong will undoubtedly pick up on one of my dyslexic traits. I can be very disorganized, I can't find my keys, can't fill out a form, can't ask for help filling out a form, lost my purse, put things down at work then can't find them, ect...

Lucky for me I have had therapy with a special ed therapist. I was a nanny for her 5 children while she worked with learning disabled school aged children.

Still I have problems with red tape stuff. Anything that requires me to fill out a form will send me running in the opposite direction. I need a person to do this for me. I know I need a lot of help to get my dreams off the ground.

The thing I like about being dyslexic is that I always think outside the box. If you want to do something in a different way just ask a dyslexic how they would do it. Dyslexia is me and it can be for you if you just give us a chance.

Here is a link for you to follow:
Dyslexia the Gift. Information and Resources for Dyslexia

1 comment:

Javier Mejia said...

Hi, you don't know me, I was just browing but you said that most anyone who is looking for something to be wrong with you will find one of your dyslexic traits... then you listed: I can be very disorganized, I can't find my keys, can't fill out a form, can't ask for help filling out a form, lost my purse and put things down at work then can't find them. I do all these things (some of them more than once) every day! I don't think I'm dyslexic... I'm curious (and a bit confused) to know how is that a dyslexic trait? or is more pronounced in a person with dyslexia? I don't know anough about dyslexia hence all the dumb questions.